Friday, May 2, 2008

Wikis

The first idea that came to my mind when I first heard of wikis was the possibility of vandalism and addition of incorrect information. That is probably the biggest issue since the first wiki came up, and I noticed some of them now require registration or identification in order to be edited. I can't see it any other way, if one wants a trustful wiki.

I heard news that a huge German wiki is being put to print media and will go to bookstores. There were talks on how each collaborator would receive their share of the sales, and the answer was that they would be collaborating not only online, but also in the physical world, to the wiki in question. I'm not sure there would be another way of doing it, but I also suspect someone is having more than his/her fair share of the cake.

Our library has a wiki on our SharePoint server. The IT staff has been using its own wiki site to store and share all the tech and web support documentation and also useful files. It's so much simpler to find what we need this way, instead of having to find pieces of info in several different physical folders. We are only beginning to explore SharePoint's capabilities, but we will certainly implement wikis for other departments in the future.

No comments: